Coming Out of Hibernation for SpringApril 11, 2017
Weight Loss: Diet and Fitness Fads to Beware OfApril 27, 2017
Healthy Eating 101
In this time between Spring and Summer, a lot of great foods are coming into season and farmer’s markets are popping up everywhere. These offer a plethora of delicious seasonal foods that offer unbeatable nutrition that is usually better for you than the produce and foods sold in grocery stores. As summer approaches it is important to get healthy and get your body ready for the beaches and pools. As you hop from market to market remember to bring cash, reusable bags, and this list of healthy foods to pick up as you enjoy the summer sun.
What Should You Pick Up at the Farmers Market?
- Green Tea: Green tea helps speed up your metabolism instead of slowing it down like the sugary sweet tea.
- Fresh Seafood: Fresh catches like salmon, tuna, lobster, clams etc. are in season and provide a protein packed meal that is low in calories and sodium and lower blood pressure and risk of heart disease.
- Watermelon: As the temperature heats up it is important to replenish your liquids in order to maintain proper function of organs. Think about snacking on a juicy watermelon, it is 82% water.
- Tomatoes: They give you an extra bit of protection against the sun. Lycopene, found in tomatoes, in a steady diet helps prevent sunburn.
- Strawberries: These provide your daily dose of vitamin C while also being low in calories, high in fiber and has antioxidants that keeps your skin looking young.
- Chick-Peas: Packed full of protein and fiber these little beans are packed full of nutrients that help lower your risk of heart disease and boosts your intake of key nutrients.
- Cherries: Not only are these a sweet, delicious snack but they have the ability to reduce cholesterol and might actually help you fall asleep better at night.
- Spinach: These leafy greens have so many different meal possibilities. They could be mixed into an omelet or used as the base of a yummy strawberry salad. High in magnesium and calcium the benefits to your body are great no matter how you use them.
Functional nutrition is nutrition based care that is focused on building health by restoring proper physiological functioning of the body. Creating a well-nourished body requires a proper diet and your personal commitment to self-healing, conscious attention to the details in our diet and lifestyle, and the proactive habits that nourish us best. Living a healthy life style and eating a proper diet have endless benefits, like digestion improvement. Having a guide to help you through this process can improve your success. At Krieger Health Solution’s we provide the tools necessary to begin your journey to functional nutrition.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube for more nutritional tips and tricks to keep you happy and healthy.